As part of the Philadelphia Independent Film Festival & Philadelphia TechWeek, on Tuesday, April 21st, @eLearnermedia, and @PhilaIndie present a Panel Discussion & Collaborative Brainstorm: Will Online Education Transform Filmmaking?
To Follow Live Tweets
- #UFF (Underground Film Forum)
- #PIFF (Philadelphia Independent Film Festival)
- #Pi8 (Philadelphia Independent Year 8)
- #PTW15 (Philly Tech Week 2015)
Some Questions to Prompt Conversation
Panelist Led Questions:
- As a film educator, what student needs are the traditional model of film school falling short of addressing? (Summer)
- From your experience using online education to learn about filmmaking, what has been helpful and what ed tech has really missed the mark? (Brittany)
- Through the use of educational technology, how can the film business be more easily understandable to students? (Ben)
- Without consideration of existing tech limitations, what would be some useful online learning or training tools that can be delivered anywhere on any device and would help film and video students in the field?
- If all art forms require a deep understanding of what our forbearers accomplished, then how can online education be evolved to better teach the tradition of film and filmmaking?
- What are benefits and pitfalls of online classes that are designed as massive open online courses (MOOCs)?
- Considering the unique technical needs of filmmakers, how can educational technology be utilized at home, in the classroom, and in the field to offer more of a mentor and apprentice dynamic?
- Discuss examples of video and filmmaking process that can’t be adequately addressed online.
Traditional Schools, Degree Programs, and other Schools With or Without Online Courses
- USC School of Cinematic Arts (https://cinema.usc.edu)
- NYU Tisch School of the Arts (https://filmtv.tisch.nyu.edu)
- The UCLA School of Theater, Film and Television (www.cinema.ucla.edu)
- Drama Centre London (http://www.arts.ac.uk)
Online and Hybrid Programs
- New School Media Arts (http://www.newschool.edu)
- The Los Angeles Film School (http://www.lafilm.edu)
- New York Video School (http://www.nyvs.com)
- CreatorUp! (www.creatorup.com)
Asynchronous Classes and Massive Open Online Courses
- Explore Filmmaking: from Script to Screen
- DIGA 160: Video Production
- 21L.011 The Film Experience | Literature @ MIT OpenCourseWare
- 21L.706 Studies in Film | Literature @ MIT OpenCourseWare
- University College Falmouth – Screenwriting
- SCREENWRITING & SCRIPT BREAKDOWN – PEPPERDINE UNIVERSITY
- UNDERSTANDING INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY – KUTZTOWN UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA
- FILMMAKING MASTERCLASS WITH MILOS FORMAN – COLUMBIA
- DIGITAL FILM SCHOOL for iPod/iPhone by The Open University
- There are many FREE film production and editing courses in the iTunes store
Additional Online Learning Resources
- Film Independent
Articles and Other Resources Worth Exploring
- Great Article: THIS WILL REVOLUTIONIZE EDUCATION. Watch the video from Via Veritasium.
- How MOOC Video Production Affects Student Engagement
- 5555 WRITING TIPS AND RESOURCES
- The Film Education Resource